Effective January 1, 2016, drivers in Ontario who will be using winter tires this year will be afforded auto insurance discounts.
The Ontario Ministry of Finance is mandating all insurance providers in Ontario to offer discounts, if an owner buys and installs winter tires for the cold season.
A vehicle is much less likely to get involved in an accident on an icy road if it has winter tires installed, so insurers discount consumers for being willing to lower the risk.
The Ontario government issued some facts about the safety associated with using winter tires on its official website:
• Winter tires that are in good condition can shorten braking distances by as much as 25 per cent.
• Drivers with winter tires need to first contact their insurance company to determine the amount of the discount they offer and the documentation they require to verify use of winter tires.
When buying these tires, drivers are also reminded to:
• Look for tires marked with a logo of a peaked mountain with a snowflake;
• Install the tires in sets of four;
• Do not mix tires with different tread patterns or size;
• Change tires that are worn close to the tread-wear indicators; and
• Check the tires’ air pressure at least once a month
Town & Country Mutual Insurance Company is pleased to offer a 2.5% Winter Tire Discount to their qualifying Automobile Insurance policyholders on the following conditions:
• The vehicle is equipped with four (4) winter tires.
• The winter tires must be installed on the vehicle during the winter season (November to April).
• The winter tires must bear the approved “Winter Tire” designation as implemented by transport Canada. The tires are marked with a pictograph of a peaked mountain with a snowflake.
For more information, please contact your Agent or Broker.